Saturday, November 27, 2010

More Little Insights

My new nephew, Stefan Michael, was born on Tuesday, November 30! I can't wait to see him and my baby sister in February! Can't come soon enough.

Continuation from previous blog: Other songs sung around the house: Justin Bieber's "Baby", Train's "Soul Sister".

Kai: All animals are referred to as moo, bug, yeow, or doggie; to him, they all fit in one of four groups. On TV this week, we saw a turtle and I said, "Kai, say t-t-t-turtle." He said, "t-t-t-bug". The slow-poke talker is certainly starting to pick up in the vocab department though. He is starting to repeat everything we say. Yea! It isn't all positive developments, however; my son is turning into a couch potato. He has discovered a train cartoon on Disney called Chuggington. As soon as he wakes up in the morning, as soon as he is done with his breakfast, pretty much as soon as he thinks about it, he insistently says, "I want choo choo on. I want choo choo on..." While traveling this week, I received a text from Eric that immediately make me leap into a new realm of reality. The text indicated that Kai had climbed out of his crib for the first time. He has been working on it for a week or so, so we weren't surprised. However, the realization was that I am no longer the mommy of a baby. I am now the mommy of KIDS! At least they all still call me "mommy". The day I am "mom", I will cry.

Madelyn: I have told this story already to several family members because it is typical Madelyn...all the kids in her preschool were in line to get on the field trip bus and their teacher said, "If anyone talks, I am writing your name down." She walked passed Madelyn and Mad said, "Do you need to know how to spell it?" Not sure if I have blogged this one or not, but another day, Eric threatened to spank her butt for something was doing. She sized him up, compared the punishment with the desired activity and asked, "Black and blue?"

Rylie: Ry got her first report card with grades! She got a mix of As, Bs and one C in math. She's been working hard on math, sweet girl. The day before Thanksgiving, she had a minor surgery to remove an extra tooth that was stuck in the roof of her mouth (weird, but common from what we understand). She was nervous and asked a ton of questions, but walked bravely back to the oral surgeon's room, underwent anesthesia, and all went well. Although nervous, she loved the fact that she got milkshakes, sherbert and pudding anytime she wanted! My the next day she was back to normal as long as she received a regular dose of Advil. The tooth fairy brought $10 for that special tooth! The following Sunday, she was able to take communion for the first time. She got so excited when she walked into the worship service and saw the bowl of bread and the containers of juice and wine at the front of the room. Referring to the wine and juice, "Mommy, how will I know which one is for kids? Does it say 'kids' on it for the one that's juice?"

As for me, after a long and tiring week in chilly Chicago at a huge annual medical imaging conference, RSNA, I am resting at Emmy and Matt's house for the weekend. Today, I slept until 10am and am planning to spend a leisurely day of reading, shopping in the cute little downtown of Chesterton, IN and going to the outlet stores with Emmy after she gets home from work. I am updating the blog in my jammies with a cup of coffee while listening to the TV music channel Reality Bites. It is described as...Lilith Fair and Lollapalooza, flannel shirts and Dr. Martens. The reinvention of Alternative music in the 90s that spawned much of the alternative pop culture of the time. On right now is Stone Temple Pilots "Wicked Garden". I remember walking to class at IU with my CD Walkman listening to that! I love where I came from! Wonder what ever happened to my Docs?