Friday, August 10, 2012

Guat's up in Guatemala

Exactly month ago, I was in Guatemala.  While we were there, our team:
  • built 4 houses for 4 widows;
  • restored 2 homes that were built years ago by Pray America volunteers;
  • installed a new and safer stove in one widow's home;
  • participated in 2 feeding programs;
  • provided 60+ new shoes to these deserving families; and
  • witnessed God's care for His children, American and Guatemalan alike
I thought it best to tell the stories through pictures.
This is Juana.  She is a widow with 4 grown sons.  Before this house, she rotated staying with each son monthly.  Now she has a place to call her own.

This is another Juana who will sleep well in her new house.  She is an exuberant 70 year old matriarch with a beautiful, toothless smile and contagious giggle.  I am framing this photo; she warms my heart.  I want to be like her one day (I'd like to keep my teeth, if possible, though).

This is Anastasia and her family.  This is called the "house dedication"; I prayed for them, blessed the house and gave them the keys as a gift from Jesus.  The image I will remember from this day was Anastasia gently caressing the cover of the new Spanish Bible we gave her.

Having a concrete floor and a door to their home with a lock and key are precious to these ladies.
This is Incarnation and her family.  A Pray America team built their house 6 or 7 years ago.  We went back for "Restoration Day" to fix any rotted boards, check the roof and paint the walls to prevent further decay.  We also installed a stove for her.  We spent a long time with her in prayer about Jesus' sacrifice and God's love.  Since many of the Guatemalans come from Mayan descent, they have a mixed belief system of idol worship mixed with some Catholicism from Spanish influence.  Their view of God can be very messed up.
Some of our team putting up the house walls

I love this photo because they were all gathered around Michael as he built a table for them out of scrap wood.  That seemed more exciting to them than the building of the house!


Installing the stove, this is a new service opportunity for Pray America.

I just love the kids!  This is Elizabeth with her new plastic flower bracelet I gave her.

These big smiles come from Malbi and Nelson.  We had such a hard time with Malbi's name that he must have been called 10 different things during the two days we were with him...Moby, Mabley.  Stupid Americans!

This is Lucrezia.  I gave her my camera for a while and she took photos like a pro.


You usually fall in love with one child while you are there.  This is mine: Juan Jose Perez Perez.


We played with the girls' hair during Restoration Day.  This is Sylvia with my friend, Jen.  Doesn't Sylvia look like a doll?
I love it when the kids are able to help build their house.  This is one of the boys with Fausto, a Pray America staff member.  I was awed by the tough job the staff members have.  One minute they are on top of the roof with a chain saw, the next we are asking them to translate the gospel from our English to Spanish to the local dialect of Quiche (key-chay), later they are officiating a basketball game between local children or trying to remain macho while buying fabric at the fabric store.



The 2 photos above are from one of the feeding programs we attended.  The kids listen to a short message, sing songs, and then get their food.  They take about 3 bites, then pack up the rest for their family.  The meal provided likely feeds the family for days.  I was struck by the huge responsibility these kids have to not only take care of their siblings while at the feeding program, but to bring food home for their family.

At each family's home they were working on their craft.  One man made the traditional skirts the Guat women wear.  He makes about $6/week.  These ladies were making the belts that are worn with the skirts.  At another house, they were needlepointing beautiful flowers on their shirts.