Well, it's a little overwhelming to update the blog when I haven't posted since May! When I worked full time, I think I posted on a monthly basis...then again, I was in permanent supercharged mode and I look back and wonder how or why I did all I did! Makes me think of one of my favorite verses, Romans 7:6:
But now we have been released from the law, for we died to it and are no longer captive to its power. Now we can serve God, not in the old way of obeying the letter of the law, but in the new way of living in the Spirit.
Rylie graduated from 5th grade and moved onto to MIDDLE SCHOOL. That has been a big transition, but she has been really impressive in her ability to adjust to even/odd schedule of classes, having a laptop for classes, and meeting new people. She has started displaying a bit of "tween angst" with hormones changing this way and that. Big learning curve for her parents. She and Eric have been rock climbing and she's working on some pretty complicated routes at the climbing gym. She's also joined the rock climbing club at school. We got into America Ninja Warrior over the summer and women with gymnastics and climbing backgrounds really inspired her! She is taking orchestra as her elective so her violin skills are improving. She is such a sweet, fun girl and I love the passion that she shows for learning new things and her friends. She is also enjoys participating in our church's youth group (while in "helicopter parenting" mode, a few moms and I had a meeting with the youth pastor before that started: So you have 11-year-olds and 18-year-olds in the same group? What do they talk about with each other? It works? Yikes!) With all this growing up and changing, it is a blessing that she still loves to play American Girl dolls and dress up with her sister. Thanks for keeping her young, Madelyn!
 |
| Rylie and her friend, Athena, at 5th grade graduation |
 |
| End of season bounty from the garden at the kids' elementary school. I got way more excited about harvesting then they did. I loved volunteering in the garden and making a big deal about growing and eating your own veggies! This photo makes me laugh because they are just humoring me. |
 |
| One of her violin performances |
 |
| Happy 11th Birthday, Ladybug! |
 |
| Rylie and her BFF Emma (who moved from SC to NY) met in PA and camped! She misses her so much! |
Speaking of Madelyn, she is in 3rd grade and started a new elementary school. She misses her old friends, but is slowly meeting new friends and settling in. She started ice skating again after a summer break. Her little faces just lights up when she's out there. She doesn't really enjoy sweating, so maybe this is the sport for her! Seriously, skating does require strength, persistence and detail, so we have been proud of her work. She has been doing a Girls Scouts-like program at church called MPact Girls and is awesome at Scripture memorization. She also loves drawing, music (One Direction, in particular) and watching Dancing With The Stars with her mommy. She is hilarious; it is a pure pleasure to just chat with her and get her take on life.
 |
| Jumping rocks this summer at the James River |
 |
| We really enjoyed our visit from Grammy and Pappa! |
Kai started Kindergarten and quickly developed some strong friendships with three little boys. He was getting warned for talking instead of learning, but soon realized that it is best to play with them at recess and sit apart from them during class. Good choice, Kai! I love seeing how his reading has improved in just 9-weeks of Kindergarten. He and Eric are in heaven watching football games Sat, Sun, Mon and Thurs. Much, much football on at our house. Bring on the IU basketball, I say! Side note: Kai always cheers for the teams that our teams are playing. He cheers for whoever is playing the Hoosiers! He cheers for whoever is playing the Carolina Panthers! He even cheers for Ohio State! It is infuriating that my brainwashing techniques haven't worked. This little guy loves numbers, math and planning. His favorite sentences include, "When are we going to...", "How many more days until..." We started a paper chain countdown to Christmas at 51 days!! He is doing a Boy Scouts-like program at church called Royal Rangers and loves checking off little assignments to earn badges. Quick funny story...football announcers where promoting an upcoming NFL game and said something like "J.J. Watt takes on the Eagles". For the rest of the week, he was convinced that J.J. Watt was single-handedly playing the whole Eagles team. He's so funny because he's hard headed and can't be convinced otherwise when he "knows" something (He still won't admit that he learns anything in school. He believes he knows everything already.)
 |
| First day of 6th grade, 3rd grade and Kindergarten |
 |
| Sweet Frog sugar high for Kai's 6th bday |
 |
| Happy Birthday, Buddy! |
 |
| Madelyn tagging Ry out during our friendly baseball game for Kai's party |
 |
| Kai and all his buddies--from top left: Landon, Liam, Matthew, Mad, Cooper, Ry and John |
Since a cat, a 13-year-old dog and 2 hermit crabs aren't enough, we adopted a beagle mix puppy in Oct. named Chase. Aptly named, he is full of energy and bounce. He loves to chase squirrels in the backyard and mutilate his chew toys. Thankfully, he's brought life back to Taylor and it is so cute to see them play.
 |
| The girls and their hermit crab maze (crabs, Lucy and Desi, are an impulse buy after several rainy days at the beach) |
 |
| Look at that sweet boy! |
 |
| Pardon Chase, he's not modest |
Eric and I started leading a couples community group on Wed. nights and it has been great getting to know those families and sharing our home. Eric is steadily looking for a better job and has had, unfortunately, too many dead-end interviews to count. Something right WILL come along. Meanwhile, we are extremely frugal and prayerful. If you ever want to trim your budget, give me a call--we have gotten really good at saying "no" to wants. Although all my kiddos are at school during the day, I haven't had a dull moment! I have been steadily working on my Postpartum Doula certification and should meet all requirements by the end of the year. I have been busy getting my name out into the birthing community...handing out business cards, creating material, meeting birthing doulas, presenting to various groups, etc. I don't have any paid clients yet, but I have served two families gratis to get that portion of my certification moving along. It was such a joy and affirmation to snuggle 5-day-old and 11-day-old babies and help those families adjust to their new life. I also help out in Kai's classroom on Thursdays as well as serve as a table discussion leader for MOPS. My tennis season sucked (to put it mildly) this summer and fall, so hoping for a better outcome in the next report!
 |
| Apple picking at Carter Mtn. with Jan and Leon. Yum! |
My last pictures are from our family beach trip to Wrightsville Beach this Aug. As I type this blog it is 45 degrees outside and my fingers just warmed up after cheering for runners this morning in Richmond's marathon (Hooray for our friend, Jill McCormack!!), so it seems fitting...
 |
| All week long we were presented with this view |
 |
| Ry and Mama |
 |
| Mad and Aunt Sandi |
 |
| On our way home, enjoying a Pepsi at the birthplace of Pepsi in New Bern, NC |
 |
| The Vet and the Caped Crusaders getting ready to binge on Halloween candy |
Whew! That was a long blog! Maybe that's why I used to post more...THANKS FOR READING!