Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Remembering how to see...

I recently started reading the blog www.chattingatthesky.com and today the author wrote, "Sometimes I write because I have something to say, and other times I write because I want to remember how to see."  I thought that was so poignant and completely true of our experience from last weekend.  So here you go...

Can you imagine not remembering life without your best friend in it?  That's the story of Madelyn and Joey.  They have been best friends since they met when they were 2 1/2 years old.  I'm not talking a-friend-I-like-to-play-with, I'm talking an I-can't-live-without-her, she-helps-me-breathe kind of friendship.  Often, it seems my spirited Madelyn bends her will to no one but Joey.  Joey brings out the absolute best in her, she calms her and loves her unconditionally.  When Madelyn colors pictures or makes a bead bracelet, her first thought is to send it to Joey.  When Joey recently had girl-drama at school, she cried for Madelyn.  They give one another a peace and security that is to be honored and appreciated.


First photo I could find of them together...Madelyn's 3rd birthday


Best friends off to the first day of Kindergarten


 



Celebrating 5 years of friendship
Now on to the Marathon festivities and other photos...we had so much fun cheering on the 1/2 Marathon runners, albeit in the rain.  Then, we had the pleasure of spending the rest of the day with our visitors from Charlotte, the Dodge family after Jamie, Joey's mom, ran the race.  This family has such a special place in our hearts, in part, because of the love they have showered on Madelyn over the years, their willingness to share Joey with us and the priority they, too, place on their friendship.

Cheering in the rain.  They both wore owl shirts and skirts.

This sign was specific for Jamie, who works at being awesome


Kai made it into the Richmond Times-Dispatch with a photo very similar to this one.  The runners LOVED this sign.

Waiting for dinner at the Marriott.  I love this photo because of all the different things happening.

It's been a big day.

Joey used to be afraid of our dogs, but she's gotten over the fear.  Yay Joey!  Notice that the girls are matching again.