Sunday, October 31, 2010

Back to our roots in Winston-Salem

My mommy

Beautiful window at one of the buildings next to the cemetary
God's Acre cemetary
At the Home Moravian Church

So I thought I was of German Moravian descent on the Bruner side, but as it turns out, the Moravians began in the Czech Republic. I must be Czech! That's exotic! Anyway, my mom and sister came to visit last week and we took a trip to Winston-Salem where our family settled before moving to Hope, Indiana. Winston-Salem was an early settlement for the Moravians; we were proud to learn that they started a college for women in the 1772 believing that women should receive an education equal to that of men (an exceptional view at the time). Salem College is the oldest women's educational institution in the country. We visited Home Moravian Church and received a tour from a lady whose father was a pastor. We mentioned that our great Uncle Jonas was a Moravian pastor and she said, "Sure, Jonas Bruner. I remember him." Our mouths dropped to the floor! Apparently, the Moravian pastor community is quite small! AND, that lady had even visited Hope. That was all really neat. It was great to be able to give mom a chance to see where we came from and interesting that I lived within 2 hours of it for the past 11 years.