Rylie Grace is officially a second grader today! I am not sure why, but I feel this very strong urge to memorialize this moment and write about our last 7 years together. I think, in general, your first born holds a distinct place in your mind and soul because each is experience and emotion is unchartered territory. There have already been mundane things about raising Madelyn and Kai that I forgetten, but there's isn't much I don't recall about raising Rylie. That absolutely does not mean there is favoritism, it means there has been "parenting imprinting" going on every day since the day I felt her first kick or since the day we named her, which incidentially, these occurred within a few days of each other.
I remember our first sleepless night when we brought her some from the hospital and I was so hormone-crazed that I cried right along with her. Eric was so calm and strong. Leon, new to the whole baby thing thought something was wrong with the cat! ha! I remember that she cried so much and so hard that she would arch up and back to the point that she bobbed all around our shoulders. We discovered that the "burrito wrap" as we called it was a life saver. Had I known then what I know now, I would have insisted that she be evaluated for reflux. She cried and spit up so much. I can still picture breastfeeding and trying to get her back to sleep for so long that I could watch multiple episodes of VH1's "I Love the 80's" series and videos in the middle of the night. What mother doesn't wish for that? I remember the hot songs of the time were "Where is the Love?" with Blackeyed Peas and Justin Timberlake and some Keene song. I watched their videos every night. That child didn't sleep through the night until she was 14 months and I thought I would lose my mind! Thank you Sleeplady.com and my colleague Jo-Ann Berg! She was never inclined to be alone, so Eric and I had to trade shifts so that we could eat our dinner. I became pretty proficient at making meals that only required one hand to eat. I've never encountered a baby that loved to be held so much. The bouncy seat, for her, was a waste. It wasn't until about 6 months that she finally loosened up a bit. I remember not believing my eyes when I saw her first steps at 8 months. She is intense, emotional and social and has been since birth. She still argues, cries and pouts when upset and her greatest punishment is making her play by herself.
I remember her tenderness. She has always loved animals and babies. She was so proud and gentle with her newborn sister and we have petted more dogs across the country than I thought possible. I have said many times that there is no one more interested in your boo-boos than Rylie. She has compassion beyond her years.
Just after her third birthday, she developed an affinity toward princesses and dresses and has never looked back. But, she's an ultra-girly, bug catching, dirt digging, lover of the outside.
I remember the first time I cried when her schooling and her character came in conflict with one another. I learned through that experience and subsequent school years that my instincts at the time were correct. Teachers may want a child to behave a certain way, but there is nothing you can do to change what God created her to be.
Then, two years ago, almost to the day, we had the scare of our lives when I heard the most blood-curdling, terrifying scream over the phone and later learned that she had second degree burns on her left hand, left leg and stomach. She knows the Lord and His angels healed her hand and her recovery was amazingly quick. I can still picture changing her bandage in the master bedroom of our rented townhome. She had practiced several songs for her preschool end-of-year program (which she was unable to participate in) and would sing them for distraction while I changed it. "Ladybugs and butterflies, buzzing bees up in the sky, teeny tiny little ants crawling up and down the plant. Many insects can be found in the sky and on the ground." And, "Five little monkeys sitting in a tree, teasing Mr. Alligator can't catch me. Along came Mr. Alligator quiet as can be and snatched that monkey right out of that tree." She was so scared, but so brave each time. She still has a scar on her leg and I pray that it will be a constant reminder that God will take care of her all her days.
I remember how frustrated she would get as she tried to ride her bike without training wheels. She has always hated onions, something she has in common with her aunt Susan. She gets so excited when she recalls a memory from a trip we have taken. She wrinkles her nose and tilts her head when she's trying to be convincing. I love how her chunky baby fat body, with the rubber-band-around-the-wrist look, has morphed into a slender, muscular little girl with beautifully sculpted shoulders (I would dress her in tanks always if that were allowed!). Her Fred Flintstone wide feet still continue to cause us problems when shopping for shoes though!
Now my baby is moving on to friends, gymnastics, chapter books, silly bands and other fads, more freedom and greater attitude. What will the next 7 years hold, lady bug?
Heavenly Father, thank you for this gorgeous little girl who continues to inspire me with her openness and kindness. She has taught me so much about life and how to be a good mommy. She breaks my heart and makes it sing in the same day, every day. I delight in her as You delight in her. I pray that she has a long life that is filled with many moments where she acknowledges your grace, understands Your love for her and glorifies You through her words and actions. She is a treasure and I honored to be her mommy. Rylie, I will always pray Eph 3:16-19 over you.