After keeping track of 3 kids all summer (Eric) and 2 back-to-back business trips (April), we were ready for a relaxing getaway! So, we found an awesome island house on vrbo.com, rounded up Jan and Leon, and headed off to Seabrook Island for 4 days. We have never visited the island (next to Kiawah Island) so it has been a pleasant surprise to experience its relaxing, perfectly beachy setting. It is marshy and wooded with lovely beaches, live oaks with swaying spanish moss, and inhabited by turtles, deer, horses, cranes, pelicans and alligators right outside our door. We are having a great time resting, playing with the kids, boogie boarding, reading, eating seafood, and riding the bikes that were provided. This was Kai's first trip to the beach and he is true to his name ("sea water")! As soon as we plopped him on the soft sand, he took off toward the water with his mouth open, tongue out trying to take in as much sand and water as possible, literally, including eating a small shell! Has anyone ever cleaned a sandy-poopy diaper; we aren't looking forward to it? Rylie discovered boogie boarding and it is hard to drag that water-bug out of the water! Madelyn, timid with the water as ever, stays near the shore and lets the waves chase her or digs holes in the sand and eats snacks. Eric and I took a long bike ride around the whole island which was beautiful but hot! I plan to take a bath tonight in the claw foot bath tub while Eric watches the Panthers tonight. Also, the owners of this house are a British cleryman and his wife--she wrote a book and I picked it up to read while I am here. Good long weekend!
Rylie says: my favorite part of the TRIP was playing with Kai and surfing on the waves with my surf board and daddy.
Mad says: I like to play with cards.
Pictures to come (BTW, Kai did 3 barrel rolls in the ocean while I had my camera in my hand. Since he is infinitely more important than any electronic device we no longer own a digital camera!